I have a question about the Enneagram. I took the test online and got my type but when I read the description, I don’t think it fits me at all. Do you feel like the online test is valid?Listener Question
- The Enneagram is heavily talked about and has been around for a very long time
- Originated in a spiritual tradition
- It is very detailed and nuanced including 9 types and subtypes within each type.
- Enneagram is best when learned with a mentor
The Validity of Online Enneagram Tests
- Online tests can be unhelpful and inaccurate
- This is because it can identify strategies or current state of mind
- Additionally, our desires while taking the test can influence our answers
- Rather than showing who you actually are
- Jen shares her experience with taking the Enneagram test (11:27)
- The Enneagram highlights parts that you might not want to relate to or are unfamiliar with
- This can lead to you rejecting the information as a whole
- But, try to remember, it can bring you insight into certain aspects of yourself
- Rather than taking an online test, read about the different types and see what feels right
- Then, discuss it with people you trust to see if it’s accurate
You can shift and bounce around different types
- Typically there’s a triad of types that you can shift through
- You can have one core type and several other paths for stress and health
- The types have different strategies for handling stresses
- Melissa gives an example (28:19)
- Gut triad vs. heart triad vs. head triad
- Describes the way your perspective on the world is skewed
Integrating the Enneagram in relationships
- The Enneagram can be helpful in navigating relationships
- Through the descriptions, you can learn to better understand another’s strategies
- Additionally, it can help you understand the needs and perspective of your partner
- Allowing grace and understanding while navigating relationships.
- Jen and Bridger talk about the Enneagram and their relationships (34:54)
- Finally, the Enneagram can also benefit group decision making
Did you know? After full completion of Beyond Healing Institute’s Somatic Integration and Processing training, each participant can receive 21 NBCC hours.
Beyond Healing Center
- Visit our website for all things BHC
- Contact us about retreats and therapy
- Contact us about training and consultation
Beyond Healing Media
- First, listen to previous episodes of BT here
- Then, check out more Beyond Healing podcasts
- Give your support and gain access to exclusive content through Patreon
Interested in supporting a child?
- 100% of the proceeds donated to the Burntout Educator will provide therapy for a child in the public school system.
- Not therapy capped at a certain number, but an open-ended relationship with a highly qualified therapist in the BHC network.
Executive Directors: Jennifer and Ryan Savage, Melissa Bentinnedi, Bridger Falkenstein
Hosts: Jennifer Savage, Melissa Benintendi, and Bridger Falkenstein
Filmographer: Tyler Wassam
Podcast Editor: Jamie Eggert
Original Music Composers: Bridger Falkenstein and Caleb Boston
Show Notes: Jordan Murray