- Mentalization is the way we understand our emotions and thoughts.
- It’s also the way we understand other people’s emotions and thoughts.
- The creation of these templates begins very early in life.
- These templates rely heavily on the interaction between parent and child.
- This is because the child is highly attuned to the caregiver.
- The child is constantly gathering information about themselves, the caregiver, and the world.
- This information is the lense in which the process experiences.
- Jack, Jen’s nephew (14:24)
- The felt experience of mentalizing (30:23)
- Archeologist (35:07)
- Power of Attention (36:59)
- Cultural Shock (40:13)
Is Mentalization Conscious? Subconscious? Unconscious?
- Typically recognized as a conscious process, something that’s very high cortical
- Mentalization also occurs in the subconscious.
- The ability to tune into this process varies from person to person, moment to moment
- Though, regardless whether we’re paying attention to it, mentalization is occuring.
- Unfamilar with RUAC? Then check out our series!
- Episode 25: RUAC, Recognize, Understand, Attune, Co-Regulate
Want to know more about mentalization?
Follow Us on Social Media
Beyond Healing Center
- Visit our website for all things BHC
- Contact us about retreats and therapy
- Contact us about training and consultation
Beyond Healing Media
- First, listen to our past episodes of BT here
- Then, check out more Beyond Healing podcasts
- Give your support and gain access to exclusive content through Patreon
Interested in supporting a child?
- 100% of the proceeds donated to the Burntout Educator will provide therapy for a child in the public school system.
- Not therapy capped at a certain number, but an open-ended relationship with a highly qualified therapist in the BHC network.