In this episode, we discuss what it’s like to go to therapy for the first time as a client. We dive in deep to the details of the first session and what a new client can expect.
Topics covered in the episode include
- Going to the Office for the first time:
-Where is it?
-It’s ok if it feels awkward and weird
-Share your experience with your therapist
-Don’t lie when they ask you about your experience of how you feel about being there
2) Where do I sit?
3) Paying attention to your body, thoughts and feelings when interacting with your therapist
4) Approaches to the first session
-mandated reporting and confidentiality
-Electronic Health Records vs Paper Forms
-structured vs. semi-structured approaches
-Don’t forget this process is all about you
-If there’s ever a question you’re not wanting to answer, give yourself permission to set your own pace
5) Wrapping Up the Session:
-50 minutes sessions- Keeping the time
-When and Where to pay
– Rescheduling- regular sessions vs sessions as needed
6) Reflecting After The Session
-how did you feel before, during and after your time with this therapist?
-while the healing journey takes time and relief isn’t always immediate, there should be a sense of connection, safety and hope